[strongSwan] StrongSwan and iOS Connection Issues

Joshua Gross joshua at surfeasy.com
Fri Feb 8 17:32:49 CET 2013

Hi,
We are running a simple strongswan configuration, to provide VPN
services to iPhones, iOS 5 and 6.

We are experiencing two issues, and wonder if anyone could provide some insight.
1. The connection startup time varies greatly, sometimes it happens
right away, and other time it can take upwards of 15 seconds.  We
would ideally want to keep it as quick as possible, as we run with the
always on option on our iPhones.

2. The other issue is we see random disconnects on our iphones.  We
will be browsing and suddenly the phone will renegotiate the
connection and end up with a new ip. We do not know what is triggering
this.

Detailsof the setup:

Strongswan 4.5.2-1.2, Ubuntu 12.04. (All vanilla packages)

/etc/ipsec.conf
conn ios
        keyexchange=ikev1
        authby=xauthrsasig