[strongSwan] Overlapping rightsubnets - Is it possible to determine on which tunnel packet arrived?

Bharath Kumar cbkumar at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 04:42:48 CEST 2013

I did some more digging up and found this to be closest to what I want.

http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults/ikev2/nat-rw-mark/index.html

Just an FYI, I have Strongswan installed and working in many scenarios
including iOS connections, Android connections, and also site-to-site VPN
connections all working in parallel. The site-to-site connections work as
long as the subnets behind the right (Cisco ASA) devices are unique and not
overlapping. Unfortunately, in my setup both have 192.168.1.0/24 as I
mentioned in the earlier post.

The console.log of nat-rw-mark shows how iptables SNAT is applied in the
POSTROUTING chain to differentiate the connections from alice and venus at
bob. My scenario is slightly different in the sense that I want to redirect
packets from alice and venus to a squid proxy on "sun". That means, I won't
have the opportunity to apply the SNAT in POSTROUTING chain.

At the moment, I am planning to follow this example with a small variation.
I'd have squid listen on multiple ports, with a dedicated port for each of
the connecting routers (alice and venus in this example) and do DNAT in the
PREROUTING chain. On squid I can then use the unique port number as the
unique identifier.

I'd appreciate if anyone can offer a simpler method.

Thanks a lot.

Bharath Kumar