[strongSwan] Ballpark number of users and Load balancing

kgardenia42 kgardenia42 at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 19 19:25:24 CEST 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Martin Willi <martin at strongswan.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I'm actually using IKEv1 (pluto) as per [...] Should I expect similar
>> numbers?
>
> Definitely not. I can't give you any numbers, but pluto won't scale as
> well as charon.
>
> I'd recommend to switch to 5.0.1 and use charon, it can now handle IKEv1
> and iOS connections just fine. All our future effort will go into
> charon, pluto won't get much improvements.

Update: I have now successfully switched to 5.0.1 as suggested.   I'm
currently using round-robin DNS as a crude but reasonably effective
load balancing strategy.

I intend to do some stress testing with 5.0.1 and will report back
results.  I am currently using high CPU mediums rather than larges but
will test both.

Thanks.