[strongSwan] IKEv2 TS narrowing

Eric_C_Johnson at Dell.com Eric_C_Johnson at Dell.com
Mon May 14 23:18:21 CEST 2012

We are doing our best to follow section 2.9.

What I'm trying to do in the short-term is come up with a Strongswan config that would exercise narrowing so I can verify our implementation is working correctly.  Initially I want to do the following:

Initiator (Strongswan)   ---- Responder
Defined host (i.e. 10.1.1.1)  ---- defined network (I.e. 10.0.0.0\8)
Defined subnet (i.e. 10.1.1.0\24)  ---- defined network (I.e. 10.0.0.0\8)
Defined Wildcard (i.e. 0.0.0.0.0\0)  ---- defined network (I.e. 10.0.0.0\8)
Defined network (i.e. 10.0.0.0\8)  ---- defined network (I.e. 10.0.0.0\8)

I believe the first 3 scenarios would require narrowing where the last one would not.  I could use confirmation that my understanding is correct.  If so, what entries on the Strongswan host would I need to enter to make this work?

I also need to introduce similar configs for port\protocol based narrowing as well.  So I could use some insight into that as well.
-----Original Message-----
From: Vilhelm Jutvik [mailto:ville at sics.se]
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 4:12 PM
To: Johnson, Eric C
Cc: users at lists.strongswan.org
Subject: Re: [strongSwan] IKEv2 TS narrowing

Hello Eric,

it's nice to read about someone else who is, just like, me using Strongswan to debug their own IKEv2 implementation. If would love to help, but I am not sure about what you're asking for. Are you taking the difficult path and implementing narrowing exactly as described in RFC 5996, section 2.9?

Sincerely,
Vilhelm Jutvik
MS Thesis Student, SICS