[strongSwan] IP Fragmentation problems on some websites

Mark M mark076h at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 02:19:08 CEST 2012

I just noticed in the FIOS router I can set the MTU on the "Broadband
Connection (Coax)" and not just the ethernet. So I set it to 1400 and
now everything works fine since my LAN and all the interfaces on
strongSwan can handle up to 1500 MTU and everything coming from the
internet will be 1414 bytes at the max. It looks like strongSwan is adding about 76 bytes for ESP bringing the ESP packets to 1490 bytes
which works since it is below the MTU of 1500. So if i set the MTU on my FIOS router outside interface to 1400 everything works fine.

I will look into setting the MSS via iptables as you suggested since I am unsure of other performance problems that having an MTU of 1400 on my
internet connection might bring.

Mark-