[strongSwan] local roadwarrior endpoint in highly virtualized environment

Christ Schlacta lists at aarcane.org
Fri Jan 13 01:50:15 CET 2012

I'm hosting a vpn endpoint for a few roadwarrior clients (our laptops
and phones mostly), and I'm now at the point where I must decide..  do I
place the roadwarrior endpoints on the virtualized router (right now
they're on the physical router), on their own Virtual machine (CPU
pinning anyone?) or on one of the VPN physical host machines ?
Some of the things I've come up with to consider and could use answers to:
1) The routers will be configured for failover.  can the VPN endpoint
fail over with the router?
2) Does the VPN endpoint use any characteristics of the CPU such that
vt-x instructions are insufficient (KVM/QEMU Virtual machines)?  I don't
have VT-D available.
3) placing the endpoint on the VM hosts will certainly lead to
complications in the firewall and routing tables.  Is the benefit of
placing the endpoint on that physical machine worth the extra hassle?
4) What am I missing here?  I know it's kinda obvious, but it always
worries me in situations like this.

I'm using charon, ikev2, and insofar as I remember, clients are
identified by a certificate file.