[strongSwan] RFC 4325 support - Authority Information Access CRL Extension

ABULIUS, MUGUR (MUGUR) mugur.abulius at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu Jan 5 08:19:32 CET 2012

Hi Andreas,

Happy New Year to all at the strongSwan team!

Sorry to ask again. I am confused about the sentence:

> the only alternative to extracting http CDPs from end entity certificates
> is to define additional CDPs in ipsec.conf in a special ca section

Is this sentence true only in relation with AIA extension (RFC 4325), or
it is a general strongSwsan statement for retrieving CRLs?

Assuming that a X.509 certificate has a CDP extension but ***NOT*** an AIA
extension, do you mean that strongSwan can't retrieve the CRL unless the CDP
is (also) specified in ipsec.conf (it is already specified inside X.509
certificate)?

In any case, and regardless the answer to previous question, we need to
address the validation of retrieved CRL that was signed by a specific CA
(CA1). My assumption is that strongSwan needs to be commissioned with the
certificate of CA1 in order to be able to validate the CRL.

So the question: By which ipsec.conf option should be specified and in
which directory should be present the certificate of CA1 to be used by
strongSwan for CRL validation.

Thank you
Mugur