[strongSwan] Query regarding dpdaction

Meera Sudhakar mira.sudhakar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 08:39:56 CET 2012

Hi,

Please consider the example given in
http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults/ikev2/dpd-clear/index.html.

1) Here, the config on moon has "dpdaction=clear" while carol does not.
Because of this, once the connection is lost, moon clears the connection
but carol does not. On carol, the command "ipsec status" would then give
the feeling that it is connected to moon. So is it better to give
"dpdaction=clear" on both moon and carol?

2) Also, if I include "dpdaction=clear" on both my end-points, after all
the retries, the command "ipsec status" shows the following on both sides:

Security Associations:
  none
It doesn't really kill the process, does it? So we will have to manually
kill the process in order to start it again? At least these are the
behaviors I see on my machines. Please let me know if this is as expected.

Thanks and regards,
Meera