[strongSwan] Multiple hostnames same server cert

kgardenia42 kgardenia42 at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 18 21:46:23 CET 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Andreas Steffen
<andreas.steffen at strongswan.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while generating your server certificate you can add multiple
> subjectAltNames:
>
>   ipsec pki --issue ... --san "vpn.foo.com" --san "vpn.bar.com"

If I generate the server cert as per here:
    http://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/IOS_%28Apple%29

Then the hostname is also baked into the "-dn" option.

Example:
--dn "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=vpn.foo.com" --san="vpn.foo.com"

In the above case can how does vpn.foo.com being baked into the --dn
affect my ability to add an extra --san of vpn.bar.com?

Do I need multiple --dn options also?  Or is it an option to not have
an explicit --dn with the server hostname baked into the --dn?

> If your clients are requesting different IDr identities then
> you must define two connections
>
> conn foo
>      also=server
>      leftid=vpn.foo.com
>      auto=add
>
> conn bar
>      also=server
>      leftid=vpn.bar.com
>      auto=add
>
> conn server
>      rightid=%any
>      ...                      # all other parameters
>      leftcert=serverCert.pem

Good information.  Thanks.