[strongSwan] NAT updown script help

Mark M mark076h at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 06:46:46 CEST 2012

Hi,

I posted about this about a month ago and gave up since nobody replied, I would like to get this working now.

I am running a mobile road warrior client with strongSwan connecting to
a strongSwan gateway. The mobile client has two interfaces, one for an
inside LAN subnet and one for the WAN connection to the strongswan gateway. Behind my mobile client on
the LAN side, I have another host that I would like to connect through
the mobile client using NAT. Kinda like if i used my laptop as a mobile hotspot for multiple clients to my strongSwan gateway.

Andreas responded telling me I needed to use the NAT up/down script here http://git.strongswan.org/?p=strongswan.git;a=blob;f=testing/tests/ikev2/nat-virtual-ip/hosts/moon/etc/nat_updown;h=aab1df687484362b2c16eaf6bd30d05b3590520a;hb=HEAD

Now I really don't understand how to set that up and what the variables are supposed to be, I am confused since I use the virtual IP address which always changes so how can you NAT to it? There is no documentation on how to use the up/down script and I am not sure what the different variables are.I had tried different combinations and could never get it to work.

I have the LAN interface/ip address on my strongswan client that needs to be NATed to the road warriors virtual ip OR the interface that strongswan uses before ESP occurs.

If anyone could explain to me how to use the NAT up/down script that would be great,
Thanks

Mark-