[strongSwan] VPN Establishment

Daniel Palomares palomaresdaniel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 19:55:51 CEST 2012

Hello All,

I was wondering to know if : Has someone tried to measure the establishment
time of a VPN Tunnel using strongSwan?

Within a local area network I have tested strongswan and I obtain an
average of 350ms-450ms per single VPN.

By the way, I went further and I tested the usage of "port granularity"
within strongSwan. So I tested it by establishing 1,10,100, 200, 300, 400,
500, 600, 700 and 1000 tunnels by varying the port number. For example,
"conn-100" in *ipsec.conf*  would be in charge of any traffic concerning
port 100, "conn-101" for port 101, and so on.

I was surprised when I realized that the time of establishment of the VPN
was raising as the amount of tunnels where numerous.

A question for developers is: Is it a normal behavior that strongSwan would
take more time to establish a VPN when is is loaded, lets say,  almost 1
second when 1000 tunnels are established?

I used the command *'time*' to mesure each VPN establishment by performing *'
ipsec up "conn-name"* '.

Any comments are very appreciated !

Thanks

Daniel Palomares