[strongSwan] leftID and rightID

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Sun Sep 25 22:11:19 CEST 2011

The subject distinguished name or subject DN of an X.509 certificate
consists of several Relative Distinguished Names (RDNs) and therefore
can be quite tiresome to write as in

"C=DE, ST=Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, L=Rostock, O=Finanzamt,
 OU=Zentrale Informations- und Annahmestelle, CN=steuerportal-mv.de,
 E=poststelle at fm.mv-regierung.de"

Therefore often one or several subjectAlternativeNames or Aliases
are added as X.509v3 extensions to a certificate, like e.g.

  DNS:moon.strongswan.org
  email:carol at strongswan.org
  IP:11.22.33.44

(given in openssl.cnf notation) which saves a lot of typing work and
helps to eliminate errors.

Regards

Andreas

Andreas Steffen                         andreas.steffen at strongswan.org