[strongSwan] v4.3.2 not working with Windows clients

Ariel ariel at bidcactus.com
Thu Sep 22 17:36:58 CEST 2011

Setting up strongSwan 4.3.2 (from the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS repositories), I managed to get it working fantastic for OSX/iPhone/iPad clients.  Windows clients I kept getting "probable authentication failure (mismatch of preshared secrets?): malformed payload in packet".

My /etc/ipsec.conf:
conn L2TP
        authby=psk
        compress=no
        keyexchange=ikev1
        pfs=no
        rekey=no
        type=transport
        left=%defaultroute
        leftnexthop=%defaultroute
        leftprotoport=17/1701
        right=%any
        rightprotoport=17/%any
        rightsubnetwithin=0.0.0.0/0
        auto=start

So, I changed to using the Ubuntu 10.10 repository (strongSwan 4.5.0) and it now works with every client I have thrown at it (Windows 7, XP, OSX, etc).  Just a heads up, and also in case anyone on this list has the power to backport (or etc) a fixed version of strongSwan since 10.04 is still the current server release for Ubuntu.

-a