[strongSwan] problems with charon in 4.4.1

Andreas Schuldei schuldei+strongswan at spotify.com
Thu May 26 12:51:44 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Andreas Schuldei
<schuldei+strongswan at spotify.com> wrote:
> now i uploaded new logs from taylor and aldona. the two dropped their
> SA sometimes after 2011-05-24T21:48:21 (that is the last good SA
> negotiation i can see in the logs) and didnt manage to establish a new
> one.
>
> could someone please look at the logs and tell me if i can do anything
> about this failure (by choosing different config options)? The
> configuration files are unchanged since my first mail.
>
> please find the log files at
> http://origin.scdn.co/u/wp/aldona.ash.spotify.net-charon.log
> http://origin.scdn.co/u/wp/taylor.sto.spotify.net-charon.log
>
> they are smaller this time, and the timestamp might make it easier, too. :-)

yesterday i changed (per the suggestions on irc) the ipsec.conf to say
reauth=no, to make the connections less prone to reauthentication
isssues (and also switched to transport mode).  Then i restarted
everything and also extended the testbed a little, so that we have 23
machines sending random traffic to each other through ipsec
continuously. (->253 host-to-host connections :-)

i uploaded new log files of a failure now, which centers around fiona.
aldona, alejandra, alvina, amber and annmarie failed to re-establish
their SAs to fiona. annmarie for example set up its last SA at 21:37
and then stopped talking to fiona altogether. other traffic to other
hosts goes on as before.

please check out

http://origin.scdn.co/u/wp/aldona.ash.spotify.net-charon.log
http://origin.scdn.co/u/wp/alejandra.ash.spotify.net-charon.log
http://origin.scdn.co/u/wp/alvina.ash.spotify.net-charon.log
http://origin.scdn.co/u/wp/amber.lon.spotify.net-charon.log
http://origin.scdn.co/u/wp/annmarie.ash.spotify.net-charon.log
http://origin.scdn.co/u/wp/fiona.lon.spotify.net-charon.log

as well as their IPsec config files that are now generated with this template:

$comment

config setup
	plutostart=no # pluto is used for IKEv1

conn %default
	ikelifetime=3h           # strongSwan default
	lifetime=1h              # strongSwan default
	margintime=9m            # strongSwan default
	keyingtries=%forever     # strongSwan default
	mobike=no                # mobike is used for NAT traversal
	keyexchange=ikev2
	ike=aes128-sha1-modp2048
	esp=aes128-sha1-modp2048
	left=%defaultroute
	leftcert=host_server.crt
	type=transport           # should work just as good as tunnel, but
less overhead
	reauth=no                # recommended so that SAs are rekeyed, not
reauthenticaed

# Begin connection section

# For all connections, the peer with the host name
# that is first in a lexicographical sorting
# is selected as the initiator of the connection.
#for $peer in $peers

conn $host-$peer.name
	right=$peer.ip
	rightid="C=SE, O=Spotify, CN=$peer.name"
	#if $peer.initiator
	auto=start
	dpdaction=restart
	#else
	auto=add
	dpdaction=clear
	#end if
#end for

regarding the remnants of xfrm policy after /etc/init.d/ipsec stop: is
that a sign for the cleanup of charon at shutdown gone wrong? i also
see that the xfrm kernel modules are still heavily used (with a usage
count of ~60, on some machines) when charon was stopped and no SAs are
active any more. how can i see with lsof (or similar tools) what
userspace (or kernel) stuff uses it?