[strongSwan] Is eap_identity configuration supported?

Christophe Gouault christophe.gouault at 6wind.com
Thu Feb 24 15:42:57 CET 2011

Hi all,

I am currently doing IKEv2+EAP tests, using charon for both the client
(EAP supplicant) and the server (EAP authenticator).
The version of strongSwan I use is 4.3.6.

- the client side is configured to do EAP-AKA
- the server side is configured to do EAP-radius
- a radius server performs the EAP authentication

I can successfully establish an IKE negotiation, but the EAP identity of
the client is always set to its IKE identity (rightid field) instead of
its configured EAP identity (eap_identity field).

I tried various configurations:

* the server is expected to ask the client for its EAP identity:

client:
leftid=@clientfqdn
right=@serverfqdn
eap_identity=0111222333444555

server:
leftid=@serverfqdn
rightid=%any
eap_identity=%

* the server hardcodes the client identity:
client:
leftid=@clientfqdn
right=@serverfqdn
eap_identity=0111222333444555

server:
leftid=@serverfqdn
rightid=%any
eap_identity=0111222333444555

* I also tried to not specify the leftid, but the identity sent to the
radius server is random data.

I always have the same error message on the server:
13[IKE] EAP-Identity request configured, but not supported
13[IKE] initiating EAP_RADIUS method

and the client IKE id (clientfqdn) is sent to the radius server for the
authentication, instead of the client eap_identity (0111222333444555). I
must set the client leftid to 0111222333444555 for the EAP
authentication to succeed.

Therefore, I am wondering if this eap_identity specification is actually
supported?
Am I doing something wrong?

I can give the full configuration on demand.

Regards,
Christophe