[strongSwan] No MD4 hasher available

Matthew Cini Sarreo mcins1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 11:50:05 CEST 2011

Hello all,

I am attempting to use strongSwan 4.5.0 as an IKEv2 client which uses
EAP-MSCHAPv2 for authentication. When building from sources I have used the
following command:
./configure --enable-md4 --enable-eap-mschapv2

However, during the IKEv2 negotiation I get the following error:
EAP-MS-CHAPv2 failed, no MD4 hasher available.

For testing, strongswan.conf was changed to contain the following line:
load = aes des sha1 sha2 md4 md5 pem pkcs1 gmp random x509 revocation hmac
xcbc stroke kernel-netlink fips-prf eap-mschapv2 updown

Executing charon resulted in the following error:
root at XUbuntu9:/usr/local/libexec/ipsec# ./charon
00[DMN] Starting IKEv2 charon daemon (strongSwan 4.5.0)
00[LIB] plugin 'md4' failed to load:
/usr/libexec/ipsec/plugins/libstrongswan-md4.so: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks & Regards,
Matt