[strongSwan] How does id2sql utiltiy work

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Wed Aug 10 23:17:39 CEST 2011

Hello Riaan,

On 08/10/2011 09:50 PM, Riaan Kruger wrote:
> We would like to have a seperate id2sql utility for finer-grained pool
> management. We would also like it to be distribute-able. For example,
> the one in strongswan does not have a make install target which makes
> building it along the rest of system a manual process. So:
>
> 1. Is there a thirdparty utility that does the same work we can use?

There is no third party tool I'm aware of.

> 2. Is it possible to make it install-able from strongswan (i.e. with a
> make install target)?

In principle it is doable. Besides building and installing the script
you'll also need libstrongswan.

> 3. If none of the above, how difficult and "legal" (in terms of the
> license of strongswan) would it be to "copy out" the code for it to
> make it a manage-able utility.

All our code is released under the Open Source GPLv2 license. Thus you
are free to take our code, modify and use it in any way you want. But
your version will also be covered by the GPL, which means that you
have an obligation to disclose the source code of your toolkit to
the users of your software. And of course we would welcome it if
you would contribute your enhanced toolkit back to the strongSwan
project or host it somewhere yourself.

> Riaan

Best regards

Andreas