[strongSwan] No known IPsec stacks found on Freebsd 8.1

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Fri Oct 15 11:53:10 CEST 2010

Yatong Cui wrote:
> Yet I cannot start the daemon because the system cannot identify any IPsec stack.

That's not really a problem, the detection code is Linux specific and
not actually executed by the daemon, but by a wrapper tool called
"starter".  The daemon "charon" (with the proper plugin loaded) should
be able to communicate with the kernel, just fine.

The actual problem you seem to have is that starter and charon are
either already running or have crashed and the pid files are still lying
around:

> charon is already running (/var/run/charon.pid exists) -- skipping charon start
> starter is already running (/var/run/starter.pid exists) -- no fork done

Check that they are not running and then delete these pid files and try
to start them again with "ipsec start".

Regards,
Tobias