[strongSwan] No known IPsec stacks found on Freebsd 8.1

Yatong Cui yacui at redhat.com
Fri Oct 15 04:45:11 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I have some troubles with using Strongswan 4.4.0 on FreeBSD 8.1. I've already recompiled the kernel with
options IPSEC
device  crypto
Yet I cannot start the daemon because the system cannot identify any IPsec stack.

The actual console messages are:
Starting strongSwan 4.4.0 IPsec [starter]...
charon is already running (/var/run/charon.pid exists) -- skipping charon start
no netkey IPsec stack detected
no KLIPS IPsec stack detected
no known IPsec stack detected, ignoring!
starter is already running (/var/run/starter.pid exists) -- no fork done

Hope experienced users can help me solve this problem.

Thanks a lot in advance.