[strongSwan] strongswan seems to go mad after some time

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Mon Oct 4 12:36:37 CEST 2010

Hi,

> I do not understand why port 4500 is used. I shouldn't have a NATed
> setup.

A MOBIKE enabled peer always switches to port 4500 for IKE_AUTH, this is
the intended behavior.

> 12[ENC] parsed INFORMATIONAL request 268 [ D ]
> 12[IKE] received DELETE for IKE_SA kronecker.scientia.net[2]

> 12[IKE] restarting CHILD_SA kronecker.scientia.net
> 12[IKE] initiating IKE_SA kronecker.scientia.net[4] to 77.37.6.134
> 12[ENC] generating IKE_SA_INIT request 0 [ SA KE No N(NATD_S_IP) N(NATD_D_IP) ]

> 03[ENC] parsed IKE_SA_INIT request 0 [ SA KE No N(NATD_S_IP) N(NATD_D_IP) ]
> 03[IKE] 77.37.6.134 is initiating an IKE_SA

Looks like a bug if reauth=yes is used in conjunction with
dpdaction=restart and uniqueids=yes. If an IKE_SA is deleted for some
reason, the responding peer tries to reestablish the same with the
restart action. However, the peer deleting the SA actually does a
reauthentication by close-and-reestablish, resulting in redundant
IKE_SAs. This probably triggers the unique checking of an IKE_SA, and
again, deletes one of them.

The main issue here is the problematic reauthentication procedure
defined by the IKEv2 protocol. I'd highly recommend to disable it with
reauth=no, as it is usually useless from a security perspective if the
user does not have to reenter his credentials manually.

There is currently a discussion about a proper reauthentication
extensions for IKEv2 on the IPsec mailing list. We probably should drive
that thing forward and fix all the problems resulting from
reauthentication.