[strongSwan] Android (normal client) + L2TP/IPSEC and certificates

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Thu Nov 11 18:17:39 CET 2010

ipsec.conf

(rw)
 authby=rsasig
    pfs=no
    keyingtries=1
    rekey=no
    ikelifetime=8h
    keylife=1h
    left=my.ip.address
    leftprotoport=17/1701
    right=%any
    rightid=@FQDN_BASE_OF_CERTS

Certificates of the TinyCA generated CA, CRL, server key, server crt,
client key and client crt are all in the appropriate places.

With plutodebug=parsing enables, I get the following upon connection

/var/log/auth.log
(bunch of stuff..)

L2 - issuer:
C=stuff, CN=FQDN_OF_CERTS, E=ROOT at FQDN_BASE_OF_CERTS'

and ..

C=stuff CN=MY_ID at FQDN_OF_SERVER, E=SubjectAltName

So I *know* the client is sending it .. and the parser is finding it ..
but for whatever reason, this appears next :

Public key validated
"rw"[1] IP_OF_CLIENT #2: no RSA public key known for 'IP_OF_CLIENT'
"rw"[1] IP_OF_CLIENT #2: sending encrypted notification
INVALID_KEY_INFORMATION to IP_OF_CLIENT:500

Question is .. why is StrongSwan identifying the peer by ID_IPV4 when
the certificate is being sent and parsed?

Thanks,

Michael Holstein
Cleveland State University