[strongSwan] Rekey issue when strongswan is initiating rekey

Arun Raj arun at stoke.com
Fri Jun 4 09:58:28 CEST 2010

 <<ike.pcap>> Hi ,

This is regarding an issue with strongswan during ikev2 Phase1 rekey

I brought up ikev2 session using strongswan and our box ( remote access
IPSec session )
Here I am seeing an issue that whenever strongswan is configure to
initiate Phase1 rekey ( IKE_SA )
Strongswan is sending IKE delete message first ( as informational
exchange )then followed by SA Init

Due to this , each Phase1 rekey is like tearing down existing session
and setting up new one

But I think ike delete for old SA should be send only after new SA is
establish
Please correct  me if I am wrong

This issue was not observed when we configure the other side gateway (
not strongswan ) we are using to initiate rekey

I tried two different versions of strongswan 4.2.9 and 4.4.0
If some one faced this issue and was able to solve, please let me know
I am pasting my ipsec.con file also for your reference

cat ipsec.conf
# basic configuration

config setup
        strictcrlpolicy=no
        plutostart=no
        charonstart=yes
        charondebug=all
        klipsdebug=all

conn home
        rekey=yes
        ikelifetime=90s
        keylife=800s
        rekeymargin=20
        keyexchange=ikev2
        auth=esp
        authby=psk
        keyingtries=1
        left=90.1.1.1
        leftid=ikev2 at ic
        leftsourceip=10.10.10.1
        leftfirewall=no
        right=15.1.1.1
        #rightid=*@ic
        rightid=%any
        rightsubnet=69.0.0.1/24
        pfs=yes
        ike=aes128-sha1-modp1024
        esp=aes128-sha1-modp1024
        auto=add

( this file which I attached here is pcap during P1 rekey )

Thanks
Arun