[strongSwan] strongswan with ocf or hardware accelator

Dimitrios Siganos dimitris at siganos.org
Thu Jun 3 20:05:27 CEST 2010

Jayasri Sangu wrote:

> Hi All,
>

>                We are trying to implement the strongswan on our
> embedded product with freescale processor.
>

> B'coz of limitations of our processor we cann't use the software
> encryption. Is there any way the strongswan supports hardware
> acceleration?
>

> Thanks for your help
>

> Jayasri Sangu
>

> *Come* *visit* *us at **CommunicAsia 2010* <http://www.communicasia.com/>
>
> *June 15-18, 2010 at Singapore Expo in the **USA Pavilion,* *Stand 6H1-07*

Assumptions:
1) linux plaform
2) ESP
3) you want to accelerate the crypto+hash for each packet at the ESP
level, not RSA crypto operations of IKE

Strongswan uses the linux kernel to do ESP packet processing, therefore
the questions to ask is: does the linux ESP implementation support
hardware acceleration?

Yes, linux ESP uses the linux kernel crypto api, which can support
hardware acceleration. Look at the talitos driver in the linux kernel
for an example.

Beware that the linux crypto api is actively developed as we speak and
is constantly changing.

Dimitrios Siganos