[strongSwan] Home network config

Fri Feb 19 14:48:54 CET 2010

Hi Raza,

I never used the L2TP/IPsec client so I can't tell how to set it up.

If you want to use plain IPsec you have - in my opinion - the following

IKEv1:
WindowsXP + NCP Secure Entry Client for Win32/64 (142 EUR)
WindowsXP + Shrew Soft VPN client (free of charge)
Windows 7 + NCP Secure Entry Client for Win32/64 (142 EUR)

IKEv2:
Windows 7 + built-in IKEv2 VPN client

If you decide to use IKEv1, you are going to setup the pluto daemon
(plutostart=yes). If you want to use IKEv2 you are going to use the
charon daemon on the strongSwan side.

You have to make sure that your NAT router forwards packets destined for
192.168.1.0/24 to your strongSwan box.

Do you know how to create X.509 certificates?

If you want to use Windows 7 you could use a connection definition which
is similar to

config setup
         charonstart=yes
         plutostart=no

conn win7
     keyexchange=ikev2
     ike=aes256-sha1-modp1024!
     esp=aes256-sha1!
     dpdaction=clear
     dpddelay=300s
     rekey=no
     left=%any
     leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
     leftauth=pubkey
     leftcert=razz_home_network.pem
     leftid=@vpn.razz.net
     right=%any
     rightsourceip=192.168.1.0/24
     rightauth=eap-mschapv2
     rightsendcert=never
     eap_identity=%any
     auto=add

There's one issue I have with Windows 7: The native IPsec client sends
all IP traffic through the IPsec tunnel; even traffic that is not
destined for your home network. As a consequence, if the road warrior
accesses some site on the internet, the traffic will be sent through
your strongSwan box at home.

-Daniel