[strongSwan] OS X IPSec/L2TP and strongSwan results in INVALID_HASH_INFORMATION

Benoit Foucher benoit at bittrap.com
Fri Dec 3 15:59:52 CET 2010

Hi,

Ok, next issue :). I'm trying to setup an OS X client IPSec/L2TP connection to strongSwan 4.5.0.

The strongSwan server and the OS X client are both behind a NAT. I managed to find the configuration to get the tunnel establishment to pass phase 1 but it fails in phase 2. The OS X client (raccoon) fails to match its computed HASH(2) with strongSwan's hash passed with the STATE_QUICK_R0 message. I've attached the strongSwan debug traces and raccoon debug traces to this email. Any ideas why raccoon and strongSwan don't agree on the hash value?

Someone reported a similar issue last month and indicated that things were working when the strongSwan server was NOT behind a NAT but failed when it was behind a NAT.

Here's the config I'm using:

conn rw
        esp=aes128-sha1
        ike=aes128-sha-modp1024