[strongSwan] Windows native L2TP/IPsec with multiple clients behind the same IP (NAT)

Jaime Vargas jaivarsa at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 12:26:57 CEST 2010

Hi Diego,

I'm the one who started the thread you referenced. Until now I have
had semi-success with XP, and it was a bit of a kludge. What we did
was create a script that would poke around the registry to create a
secondary IP address for the network card and assign it the address
that the PC would have received if XP supported ModeConfig, and then
create a tunnel IPsec policy between that address and the strongSwan
gateway.

The reason to do that bit about the IP address is that if you just
create the tunnels with the private IP you turn the problem of not
conflict between two PCs within the same networks into the MUCH more
problematic conflict between all the PCs from different networks that
are all using, say, 192.168.1.2.

I haven't been able to do the same in Vista yet, because Microsoft
decided some day that tunnel mode is for routers and as such shouldn't
be allowed behind NAT. The provided a Hotfix for that but I haven't
been able to make it work.

For 7 I guess it's best to investigate IKEv2.