[strongSwan] Ipsec tunnel creation fails with received netlink error: No such file or directory (2)

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Wed Aug 25 15:12:01 CEST 2010

Hi,

> even after enabling all the required kernel modules for Ipsec we are
> still not able to create a tunnel

Please check the list of kernel modules at [1]. It is not complete, but
a good starting point to find out if your config misses an important
option.

> received netlink error: No such file or directory (2)
> unable to add SAD entry with SPI c7f8ee23

It is hard to say what actually triggers that error, but a "No such file
or directory" during SAD installation is rather uncommon. If you have
all the modules at [1] compiled in, I'd recommend to grep for ENOENT in
your kernel XFRM code at net/xfrm and debug all occurrences in the xfrm
state installation code path.

[1]http://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/KernelModules