[strongSwan] Need help reviewing a tutorial on smartcards

François Pérou francois.perou at free.fr
Fri Apr 9 07:58:43 CEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 00:51 +0100, Dimitrios Siganos wrote:
> "charon IKEv2 usb smartcard dongle integration"
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/users@lists.strongswan.org/msg01798.html>

To answer part of your question, you will need :

* OpenSC, pcsc-light and OpenCT. I don't recommend using OpenCT, as it
targeted to non-standard readers. For long time project, I would not
choose non-standard readers.

* Use a PCSC CCID reader, either in full format or mini-sim (stick). I
will soon offer mini-sim sticks if you are interested. The advantage of
CCID compliant readers is that they are fully supported by OpenSC and
any system (Win32, MacOSX, GNU/Linux) without additional driver.

* Java cards are not well supported by OpenSC. Use a traditional pkcs15
crypto card, like the one we sell, with support for each system (Win32,
MacOSX, GNU/Linux) . It is cheaper and compliant. If Java cards worked,
I would sell some of them. If I don't, it is because you get into too
many problems: initialization, erase, etc ... Everything becomes a
nightmare.

* I recommend to start with our tutorials, which will give you a picture
of what can be done: http://www.gooze.eu/tutorials

Kind regards.