[strongSwan-dev] Building strongSwan for Windows on Linux

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Thu Aug 24 10:34:48 CEST 2017

Hi Kevin,

> First, in my OpenSSL build I had set the ‘no-deprecated’ flag during configure, but apparently strongSwan is still using some deprecated functions.

The plugin tries to work with pretty much any version of OpenSSL (and
BoringSSL, not so much LibreSSL at the moment).  But these *SSL
libraries have been a real crapfest in regards to API changes in recent
years leading to lots of ifdefs and small wrapper macros.  Could very
well be that there are some still missing for OpenSSL 1.1 (I guess the
distro versions of it are not compiled with no-deprecated, so somebody
needs to do some compatibly checks against different API versions).

> But I’m still confused as to why I am seeing this problem when apparently no one else is.

As I mentioned before, the Windows detection in the configure script
does not seem to work correctly on your system (otherwise there would be
an attempt to link libeay32 and not libcrypto - unless you changed that
in the script).  This could mean that e.g. _WIN32 is also not defined.
Because if it was OpenSSL's ossl_typ.h header, included in x509.h, for
instance, would undefine the conflicting defines.

> Could it simply be that no one else has built Windows strongSwan with the latest openSSL? That seems unlikely, though I guess possible.

That's actually entirely possible as there are probably not that many
people building strongSwan for Windows.

Regards,
Tobias