[strongSwan-dev] KINK support for Strongswan

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Wed Jun 13 09:09:32 CEST 2012

Hello Thomas,

> I would like to know if the Strongswan team is planning to add support
> for the KINK protocol ?

No, we don't have any plans to implement KINK. But as always, we are
open to contributions (see [1]) or do sponsored development.

> As a side project I'd be very interested in working on a proof of
> concept support for this feature. In order to get me started faster,
> I'd be very glad if you could provide some pointers on where to start
> to plug this new keying protocol inside strongswan.

With our upcoming 5.0 release (in git master), we provide both IKEv1 &
IKEv2 through our new keying daemon charon, mostly implemented under
src/libcharon. This would be a preferable starting point, as KINK lends
some protocol bits from IKEv1.

Beside the message encoding (subfolder encoding) and negotiation of
Quick Modes (sa/child_sa.[ch]) and its installation in the kernel, there
is probably not much more in common to IKEv1/IKEv2. While KINK does not
know the concept of a "management SA" (Main Mode, IKE_SA,
sa/ike_sa.[ch]), we'd need some structure to maintain those Quick Modes
in a centralized place (like in sa/ike_sa_manager.[ch]).

Implementing KINK with an existing Kerberos library is probably not too
hard. Doing it properly in our existing keying daemon is not trivial,
though, even if you have good knowledge of the strongSwan codebase.
Maybe it would be possible to handle KINK as a plugin, maybe it would
make sense to handle it as first class citizen along with IKEv1 and
IKEv2, or even have a dedicated daemon for KINK. All in all, a very
ambitious project.

Best Regards
Martin

[1]http://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/Contributions