[strongSwan-dev] strongswan 4.6.2: charon unstable/crashes when establishing a lot of connections

Daniel Palomares palomaresdaniel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 17:26:17 CEST 2012

Hi,

If I'm not wrong IKE_SAs are stored in a linked list by default. So, the
performance
could get worst while the number of SAs increases.  Tobias told me few days
ago that one could configure charon to use a hash table instead in order to
boost the IKA_SA lookup.
http://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/IkeSaTable

Also try to log less than you would log by default. As Logging naturally
increases with the number of SAs. So , you could try to configure
strongswan.conf with logging values 0, 1 or even -1 to make it completely
silent.

http://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/LoggerConfiguration

Also, I'm curious by knowing how long time does your strongswan's testbed
take to establish 3000 VPN connections?

BR

Daniel Palomares