[strongSwan] Error Message: "unsupported mode"?

Carlos Velasco carlos.velasco at nimastelecom.com
Sat Oct 1 16:43:49 CEST 2022

Hi Michael,

I think remote end wants Transport mode "N(USE_TRANSP)", and local says it is not supported.
I suppose you are using Linux in local with "kernel-netlink" module for strongswan (default), so I would check if module transport is enabled in your kernel.
Refer to this doc: https://docs.strongswan.org/docs/5.9/install/kernelModules.html

"IP: IPsec transport mode [CONFIG_INET_XFRM_MODE_TRANSPORT]" usually can be checked with command in doc:
grep '\<CONFIG_INET_XFRM_MODE_TRANSPORT\>' /boot/config-`uname -r`

Also, if it is compiled as module (m), try to load it manually, I think module name is "xfrm4_mode_transport".

If it is not Linux, you must check your local OS (or strongswan module, if not using kernel-netlink) to properly support Transport mode.

Regards,
Carlos Velasco