[strongSwan] Route-Based Site-to-site VPN

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Fri Mar 25 11:55:43 CET 2022

Hi Ed,

> Would that have any effect on the rest of my tunnels? What does
> disabling route installation by the IKE daemon means exactly in this
> case and why is it needed?

The main reason for the automatic route installation is to select a
specific source IP (one contained in the local traffic selectors) to
send packets that originate from the IPsec gateway itself through the
tunnel.  Otherwise, the packets won't match the negotiated IPsec policies.

For instance, in our testing environment, if gateways moon and sun
negotiate a tunnel between 10.1.0.0/16 and 10.2.0.0/16, we want to make
sure that moon uses 10.1.0.1 when sending packets to hosts in
10.2.0.0/16 and not 192.168.0.1, which its default route might indicate.
  So a specific route to 10.2.0.0/16 is installed in table 220 that
lists 10.1.0.1 as preferred source address.

Whether such routes are necessary depends on the negotiated traffic
selectors, the existing (or any manually installed) routes, and whether
the gateway is only forwarding traffic (in which case existing routes
might already cover the traffic) or is actually sending traffic to
remote hosts itself.

Anyway, with any of the route-based approaches the automatically
installed routes are generally not correct (they go via physical
interfaces), which is why charon.install_routes should be disabled and
routes via tunnel interfaces have to be managed externally (installing
them in routing tables that have higher priority than the one strongSwan
uses is also an option to still use automatic routes for policy-based
tunnels).

Regards,
Tobias