[strongSwan] Linux routing issue

Carlos G Mendioroz tron at huapi.ba.ar
Mon Jan 24 21:09:15 CET 2022

Noel Kuntze @ 24/1/2022 16:55 -0300 dixit:
> Hello Carlos,
>

>  > The mark did take, but the rest (i.e. non secured traffic) is being
> affected, I may have been unclear about the
>
> Please check the routing rules and tables too. E.g. ask the kernel what
> the route would be for an IP address using `ip r get X` and check if it
> matches what you expect it to be.

The "ip route get " shows what I would expect, but not what is being done.
Case in point, I do have a tunnel that terminates traffic to a given IP.
To be able to serve traffic to that IP, any returning traffic is source
routed via a rule (say prio 600) that forces the tunnel as default
route. But that would disconnect my local net from testing to that
address, so prio 0 has a lookup on local table, which has a route for
the local net to the local interface.

When I started the ipsec SA, all traffic was routed by main table, and
sent to default gateway, not paying attention to other rules it would seem.

>  > The state shows it:
>
> Can you check `ip xfrm policy`? That shows you the policies, which are
> the crucial parts. States without policies don't do anything. Policies
> without states drop everything.

AFAIK, policy looks good too:

src 0.0.0.0/0 dst 0.0.0.0/0
	dir out priority 399999
	tmpl src <my IP> dst <AWS IP>
		proto esp spi 0xcfef925b reqid 1 mode tunnel
src 0.0.0.0/0 dst 0.0.0.0/0
	dir fwd priority 399999
	tmpl src <AWS IP> dst <my IP>
		proto esp reqid 1 mode tunnel
src 0.0.0.0/0 dst 0.0.0.0/0
	dir in priority 399999
	tmpl src <AWS IP> dst <my IP>
		proto esp reqid 1 mode tunnel
src 0.0.0.0/0 dst 0.0.0.0/0
	socket in priority 0
src 0.0.0.0/0 dst 0.0.0.0/0
	socket out priority 0
src 0.0.0.0/0 dst 0.0.0.0/0
	socket in priority 0
src 0.0.0.0/0 dst 0.0.0.0/0
	socket out priority 0
src ::/0 dst ::/0
	socket in priority 0
src ::/0 dst ::/0
	socket out priority 0
src ::/0 dst ::/0
	socket in priority 0
src ::/0 dst ::/0
	socket out priority 0

Note that I have not instantiated an XFRM if yet. I may be missing
something obvious, but the change of regular traffic behaviour surprised me.

-Carlos

--
Carlos G Mendioroz  <tron at huapi.ba.ar>  LW7 EQI  Argentina