[strongSwan] Issues with maintaining IKEv2 tunnels

Dr. Rolf Jansen strongswan-rj at cyclaero.com
Wed Aug 17 15:35:08 CEST 2022

I know what DPD is. Years ago, I used it with the old racoon of the ipsec-tools then with IKEv1, and in racoon.conf I set the dpd_delay and let it after dpd_maxfail call a script with the pahse1_dead argument.

Some times ago, I read the manual ipsec.conf of strongSwan, and I did not realize that „dpdaction = none (default)“ also deactivates DPD and not only the action. Your reply let me read this part again more carefully, and I will try with dpdaction = ....

Now my guess is, that I need to use the action „clear“ on both sides once the mobile connection went down, since it usually does not come back in seconds, most of the times even not in minutes. Then my script would reliably be informed by „ipsec status“ that the connection is down, won’t it?  And it could be brought up again using „ipsec up“ once the G4 router went back online, couldn’t it?

Or may I use the action „hold“? Usually the WAN-IP of the G4 router changes upon down/up cycling. I guess this would confuse the trap policy, which will catch matching traffic, won’t it?

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Rolf Jansen