[strongSwan] Failure of chacha algorithm use?

Michael Schwartzkopff ms at sys4.de
Fri Aug 5 10:03:10 CEST 2022

Hi,

we wanted to do the use the CHACHA (chacha20poly1305) for ESP encryption.

We have a self-compiled kernel and a self-compiled strongswan (5.9.5) on
our embedded device.

On our test systems (ubuntu, Alma) everything works. But the embedded
systems logs:

[ENC] parsed CREATE_CHILD_SA response 3 [ N(USE_TRANSP) SA No KE TSi TSr ]
[CFG] selected proposal: ESP:CHACHA20_POLY1305/CURVE_25519/NO_EXT_SEQ
[KNL] received netlink error: No such file or directory (2)
[KNL] unable to add SAD entry with SPI c9760420 (FAILED)

# swanctl -g tells us:

(...)

aead:
(...)

   CHACHA20_POLY1305[openssl]

Do we miss a kernel module?

As far as I can see, we compiled the necessary module into the kernel,
which option would the algorithm be in the kernel?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

--

[*] sys4 AG

https://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG,80333 München