[strongSwan] OPNsense - phase 2 SAs being dropped for no apparent reason

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Tue Oct 12 10:02:36 CEST 2021

Hi Patrick,

> The phase 1 entries are all set to "start immediately" - these are all 24x7
> pre-configured connections, though we use IKE, of course, and not manual SPDs.

If there always is outbound traffic from your side, change the config to
something that results in auto=route instead of auto=start, so the
tunnel will automatically get (re-)created on matching traffic.  But
investigating why it gets closed by the peer in the first place might
also be worthwhile (might be some inactivity timeout, which would
contradict the "always traffic" claim, or an issue during rekeying -
you'll have to analyze the logs).

Regards,
Tobias