[strongSwan] activate only a small part of a right subnet

catscrash at catscrash.de catscrash at catscrash.de
Sat Jun 5 17:53:15 CEST 2021

Hi,

I have a strongswan gateway handling multiple connections with all kinds
of different encryption domains.

Now I have to set up a new connection, where the other side has set up
their encryption domain as 172.16.0.0/12. I only need to reach one Host
in this subnet, but I can't influence this encryption domain.

I want to prevent my system to route all traffic going to 172.16.0.0/12
through that tunnel, when I only need to reach this one host, especially
since there might be conflicts with other encryption domains of other
partners on this gateway.

I have set up the connection as detailed below. If I change the
rightsubnet to only use this one host, the tunnel will not properly come
up, as it does not match the partner settings anymore. Is there a way to
build the SA with the large subnet, but internally only add routes for a
smaller subnet? Thanks for any help!

conn s2s_xyz
         type=tunnel
         left=<<my_ip>>