[strongSwan] charon appears to either crash and/or restart during HA takeover

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Fri Dec 3 09:44:19 CET 2021

Hi Dave,

>  1. *The crash appears to have been caused by the “pulling message
>     failed condition?*

While there is a similar log message in the upstream ha plugin (ours
logs the system error too), you seem to be using a patched version (all
those "HA:" log messages are not in our code base, neither does the
upstream plugin use sockets that could be reset/disconnected).  So
please contact the devs of those changes.

>  2. *I don’t find a core anywhere, should charon have generated a core
>     as result of the “thread 5 received 11” condition?*

Depends on your system settings.

>  3. *Are there significant HA fixes/enhancements in strongswan 5.9.x ?
>     Maybe we should upgrade?*

Not since 5.8.0, but using current versions is recommended anyway.

Regards,
Tobias