[strongSwan] site-to-site tunnel, ping doesn't work.

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Tue Aug 17 18:00:00 CEST 2021

Hi Carl-Clemens,

> i've installed strongswan on debiann 11. i've configured an
> ipsec-PSK-site-to-site tunnel on both sides via /etc/ipsec.conf and
> /etc/ipsec.secrets.
>
> 1. I miss a strongswan.service-file now.

If you just install the strongswan package (which in turn installs the
strongswan-charon and strongswan-starter packages and their
dependencies), you won't get that as the service file for the legacy
starter/charon daemons is called strongswan-starter.service.

The strongswan.service file is provided by the charon-systemd package
for the daemon of the same name (requires configuration via swanctl.conf
instead of ipsec.conf).

> 2. Ipsec-Tunnel is established, but i can't ping. (telnet also doesnt
> work)

Please see [1].

Regards,
Tobias