[strongSwan] StrongSwan eap-radius with EAP-TLS, ASN.1 Radius-Username

Stefan Hartmann stefanh at hafenthal.de
Thu Mar 5 17:34:44 CET 2020

UPDATE and SOLVED:

After some hints from Tobias Brunner in an opened Issue I found the
solution for me. You can adjust the EAP identity the strongSwan-client
is sending:

# vpn-gw
remote {
     auth = eap-radius
     id =  "C = DE, O = ..."	# check the IKE identity
     eap_id = %any		# ASK the client for the eap-id

# rw
local
     auth = eap-tls
     certs = testuser-ldap.cert.pem
     eap_id = testuser-ldap at hafenthal.de		# this ID arrives at the AAA
server as (outer) User-Name
     aaa_id = "C = DE, O = Ingenieurbuero fuer IT/EDV und
Netzwerktechnik - Stefan Hartmann, OU = CA, CN = srv-kdc.hafenthal.de"

So no User-Name mangling is necessary for the outer ID on the freeradius
and proxying and so on works also with EAP-TLS.

The real authn and authz are be done with the certificate attributes,
not the client provided id.

--
stefanh