[strongSwan] StrongSwan w/ multiple local subnets.

TomK tomkcpr at mdevsys.com
Mon Jun 29 18:23:38 CEST 2020

On 6/29/2020 10:00 AM, TomK wrote:
> On 6/29/2020 3:31 AM, Tobias Brunner wrote:
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>>> Is the xfrm_user.ko module used for both traffic going out and coming
>>> back in via StrongSwan / IPSEC ?
>>
>> It's not used for handling traffic at all.  It provides the interface to
>> configure the IPsec stack (SAs and policies) from userland.  It does
>> rely on general Netlink infrastructure, but no idea what symbol could be
>> missing.  Maybe the kernel version doesn't match exactly?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tobias
>>

> That's a bit odd then.  Traffic arriving at the on-prem VPN GW from the
> Azure VPN Gateway, makes it through just fine.  This appears to confirm
> routing and general connectivity works.
>
> It's the traffic going from the on-prem VPN GW to the Azure GW where the
> issue is.

What I meant to say, is that would confirm all proper kernel modules
were already in place to allow the communication would it not?  Anything
else I could try to, in the least, confirm if the packet was
successfully forwarded to the Azure VPN Gateway end?

I know the packet arrives at the IPSec ipsec0 interface however,
checking just now, I don't see any traffic change on the WAN interface
of the on-prem StrongSwan VPN GW.

Will be reading why that is the case to get some more details but this
certainly points to on-prem for the moment.

--
Thx,
TK.