[strongSwan] AWS VPN to Cisco Unity

Jeff Puro jeffpuro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 22:56:43 CEST 2020

I have an issue with a pretty standard setup using Strongswan, wherein the
tunnel comes up properly but the traffic to the actual server is never
marked for ESP and thus never seems to get onto the tunnel. I've confirmed
that I do not see any traffic for esp using tcpdump, and when I do
a traceroute to the server on the right's VPN, it always just goes to the
internet gateway. The setup is pretty standard, but the key difference is
the server I am attempting to connect to is using a public IP address
(which is maybe why it attempts to go to it using the Amazon internet
gateway). I do not see any routes in table 220 etc. I have tried numerous
permutations to even the ipsec-tools.conf thinking that this would mark
traffic as secured, but that doesn't work, I've also tried numerous
iptables settings to no avail. My primary configuration is as follows:

Software versions:

Ubuntu 16.04
Strongswan: 5.3.5

Configurations: