[strongSwan] Strongswan openssl TPM question

Jayalakshmi bhat bhat.jayalakshmi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 18:46:45 CEST 2020

Hi All,

While writing the engine implementation for private key encryption and
decryption, I need to get the private key from external source.
ENGINE_set_load_privkey_function(e, load_tpm_private_key).
Above API is success. RSA structure is as below.

RSA_METHOD my_rsa_struct = {

"MY RSA method",
 NULL,
 NULL,
 MyRSAPrivEnc,
 MyRSAPrivDec,
 NULL,
 NULL,
 NULL,
 NULL,
 0,
 NULL,
 NULL,
 NULL,
 NULL

};

However, the routine load_tpm_private_key  does not get invoked during
private key encryption and decryption. Private key encryption and
decryption gets routed to the above overloaded routines namely "
MyRSAPrivEnc " and " MyRSAPrivDec". But  load_tpm_private_key never gets
invoked.  Is there a flag  to force the same ? I have tried it using
openssl 1.0.2 version. All other engine calls work as expected, but not
this one.

We have also tried to debug in ENGINE_load_private_key in eng_pkey.c file.
We do not see this function getting invoked. In this function, the private
key callback set above gets invoked.

Please suggest if we are missing something here.

Regards,
Jayalakshmi