[strongSwan] How to check the health of a StrongSwan server?

Houman houmie at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 19:58:08 CEST 2019

Hello,

How can I check if the VPN server is healthy and can accept new connections?

I found this Ruby script
https://github.com/sensu-plugins/sensu-plugins-strongswan/blob/master/bin/check-strongswan.rb
which utilises ‘ipsec status’ to check for health.

My Ruby isn’t very good to make full sense of it.  When I run ‘ipsec
status’ from the command line, all I get is the listing of each active
connection.  But a server can be without any active connection and still be
healthy. So I can’t follow the thought process.

Do you guys know of a way to check the health status of a strongswan
server?

Many Thanks,

Houman