[strongSwan] Interested in ipsec with source routing and/or vrf

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sat May 25 01:02:00 CEST 2019

On 5/24/19 3:56 PM, Noel Kuntze wrote:
> Hello Ben,
>
>> The purpose is to load test a VPN server
>> with a small number of physical client machines.
>
> If the VPN server supports several CHILD_SAs and arbitrary subnets on the
> remote side, you can just run several CHILD_SAs and negotiate, for example,
> a CHILD_SA per client machine IP. So you'd have tunnels like ...
> 0.0.0.0/0 == 192.168.35.10
> 0.0.0.0/0 == 192.168.35.11
> 0.0.0.0/0 == 192.168.35.12
>

> That will enable the usage of RSS and RPS on both ends of the tunnels, so the IPsec SAs
> can be load balanced over several CPU cores. Keep in mind though that your wire speed
> is likely not high enough to saturate a modern computer or anything even remotely properly configured.
> You can only get them to their knees by the sheer number of simultaneously actively used IPsec SAs
> by virtue of making the policy lookup more expensive and making sure that the informations for the
> used IPsec SAs don't fit into the CPU caches.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Noel Kuntze

Hello,

I am not so concerned with performance at this point, just functionality.

So, in the 'real' world, if I have two laptops in the same office connect through VPN,
there will be some tunnel set up between each of them.  From the perspective of the
VPN server, I want to duplicate that but by having two interfaces on one machine take
the place of the two laptops.

Thanks,
Ben

--