[strongSwan] ECDSDA certificates / keys?

Kostya Vasilyev kman at fastmail.com
Thu Mar 14 12:16:40 CET 2019

Hello,

Does IPSec in general and strongSwan in particular support certificate authentication with ECDSA keys?

I generated new CA / server / client certs using keys like this instead of "genrsa"

openssl ecparam -genkey -name prime256v1 -out key.pem

The rest of certificate generation is the same.

Now the client (also strongSwan) complains that

no private key found for '< its own certificate CN here >'

I did put the certificate's private key under /etc/swanctl/private/

The key looks like this:

-----BEGIN EC PARAMETERS-----
Bgg.....==
-----END EC PARAMETERS-----
-----BEGIN EC PRIVATE KEY-----
MHcCA.......yDpwQ==
-----END EC PRIVATE KEY-----

But I see in strongSwan logs that this key doesn't get auto-loaded (as the rsa key from same directory does).

Mar 14 14:12:09  swanctl[11380]: loaded private key from '/etc/swanctl/private/my_rsa_key.pem'
--> no similar line for the ecdsa key

I tried putting the ECDSA key under  /etc/swanctl/ecdsa/ - no change.

Also tried explicitly loading the ECDSA key from my swanctl config file like this - also no change:

secrets {
	private_ecdsa_tunnel {
		private_pki {
			file = ecdsa_tunnel_server.pem
		}
	}
}

Is there a "secret" or "trick" to getting ECDSA certificates / keys to work?

Thanks,
--
Kostya Vasilyev
kman at fastmail.com