[strongSwan] Windows 10 DeviceTunnel and rightid via LDAP/AD or RADIUS?

Hendl Stephan stephan.hendl at landtag.brandenburg.de
Tue Jun 25 13:55:43 CEST 2019

Hello,

we have set up a device tunnel as force tunnel with machine certificates in Windows 10 based on https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/Win7MultipleConfig with the following configuration:

conn    ikev2-DeviceTunnel-EDV
        keyexchange=ikev2
        leftcert=vpn.company.de.pem
        leftsubnet=10.0.0.0/8
        rightid="DC=de, DC=company, OU=<some OU>, OU=computers, CN=*"
        rightsourceip=10.142.22.0/24
        rekey=no
        rightdns=10.142.223.253,10.142.223.254
        #
        auto=add

This work as expected but all clients have to have certificates where the DN is part oft he same LDAP-tree ("DC=de, DC=company, OU=<some OU>, OU=computers, CN=*"). We use the device tunnel for starting the tunnel as far as network connection has established. There should no user interaction be required.

Is there a possibility to extend the authorization with group memebrship coming from LDAP/AD or RADIUS?

Best regards
Stephan Hendl