[strongSwan] leftcert, leftid override

Igmar Palsenberg igmar at palsenberg.com
Mon Jun 10 16:53:41 CEST 2019

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to a remote IPSEC GW, which setup is based on
certificates.

The left cert is stored on a smartcard, the right cert is stored in FS.

relevant snippets :

       leftsourceip=%config
       leftcert=%smartcard:aec59363da7ddf6e1a0c4794d8918b130cd179ff
       leftsendcert=always
       leftid="<redacted>"
       right=1.1.1.1
       rightsubnet=10.0.0.0/8
       rightcert=rightcert.pem
       rightid=1.1.1.1

1.1.1.1 is not part of the cert data in rightcert, so StrongSwan rejects
it :

4[CFG]   id '1.1.1.1' not confirmed by certificate, defaulting to
'O=<redacted>,
CN=<redacted>'

so connecting ends up in

16[IKE] IDir '1.1.1.1' does not match to
'O=<redacted>,
CN=<redacted>'

Is there a way to tell Strongswan to accept the IP the remote sends, even
if it's not in the certificate ? I'm more then happy to settle for any
IPv4 address it sends.

Regards,

Igmar