[strongSwan] Can NOT Ping private client IP from Strongswan VPN server

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Tue Feb 26 11:39:14 CET 2019

Hi Moses,

> One question, I would like to ask is, how come
> the VPN server never gets assigned a private IP?

Just assign one yourself if you think that's necessary.

> What can I ping on the server from the client apart from the server's
> public IP that can be used to ascertain the VPN connection?

Nothing if you don't add an additional address yourself.

Also refer to [1] regarding forwarding traffic from the clients.  And
make sure you set up appropriate firewall rules.

Regards,
Tobias

[1]
https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/ForwardingAndSplitTunneling